Kuching-born James Wan to produce ‘I Know What You Did Last Summer’ TV series

Kuching-born James Wan to produce ‘I Know What You Did Last Summer’ TV series

Amazon has given a series order to their planned adaptation of the horror film I Know What You Did Last Summer, Variety has learned. Development of the series was first reported last year. The YA series is described as a modern take on the hit 1997 horror film. In a town full of secrets, a group of teenagers are stalked by a mysterious killer a year after a fatal accident on their graduation night. Like the film, the project is based on the 1973 novel of the same name by Lois Duncan. "The best horror franchises always have another scare coming, and this I Know What You Did Last Summer series from Sara Goodman is a perfectly twisted update to the iconic slasher movie," said Albert Cheng, COO and co-head of television for Amazon Studios. "Any way you slice it, our global Prime Video customers will love this modern take on the fan favorite film." Goodman will write and executive produce. Shay Hatten, Erik Feig, Original Film's Neal Moritz and Pavun...
Read More
Why James Wan Was The Right Choice To Direct A Castlevania Movie

Why James Wan Was The Right Choice To Direct A Castlevania Movie

James Wan recently let it slip that he was attached to a live-action Castlevania movie; his career proves he's the perfect choice for this movie. James Wan revealed he was temporarily attached to a Castlevania feature film; he’s the perfect director for the job even though the video game franchise hasn’t come to life as a live-action movie yet — here's why. Many video game franchises tackle undead monsters, but Castlevania has become a staple of the industry. The ongoing saga of the Belmont family against Dracula and his evil army is the perfect material to get the feature film treatment. Although he’s yet to tackle vampires, James Wan has turned into one of the biggest filmmakers in horror, and has built an incredibly eclectic career that has embraced many different varieties of genre filmmaking since he started. Wan has not only had a hand in the creation of popular horror franchises like Saw and Insidious, but he’s also built his own connected universe of movies that stem from the success...
Read More
M’sian wins New Talent Award

M’sian wins New Talent Award

A MALAYSIAN filmmaker has been recognised as one of the best new directors at the National Film Festival For Talented Youth in the United States, reported Sin Chew Daily. Mickey Lai, who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Broadcasting (Hons) from Tunku Abdul Rahman University College, was presented with the New Talent Award for her film The Cloud Is Still There (pic). The short film was part of Lai’s coursework in completing her master’s degree in Film and Television Production at London’s MetFilm School. It tells a story of a Christian woman and her relationship with her Taoist mother, which is based on Lai’s life experiences. Lai said she wanted to highlight the different ways the mother and daughter prayed to God in a bid to save the terminally-ill grandfather. “I wanted to explore the conflict in many Malaysian Chinese households with different beliefs. I wanted to produce a film that tugs at the heartstrings of viewers, ” she said. The Cloud Is Still There won...
Read More
PANDei e-Pelancongan Course-Sarawak’s small step towards community based tourism

PANDei e-Pelancongan Course-Sarawak’s small step towards community based tourism

KUCHING, Nov 5: The launch of ‘e-Pelancongan’ online learning programme is Sarawak’s small step towards sparking off interests among the people in a community-based tourism in the state. Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry permanent secretary Hii Chang Kee said the free-ofcharge four-module online course is now available for everyone to access and participate. “These modules are now available not only to Grab drivers but to everybody including taxi drivers, schools students or housewives. “You can all learn through this program on how to become an ambassador of Sarawak’s tourism as you know more about the cities like Kuching, Sibu and Miri,” he said. He further introduced that the four modules in the course which are only available in Malay language at the moment are tourism awareness, responsible tourism, business events and Sarawak Tourism Ambassador Program. Hii also revealed that more modules would be added in the future and they would come in multiple languages such as English and Mandarin. Meanwhile, he said tourism...
Read More
Abdul Karim: Restaurants not the source of Covid-19

Abdul Karim: Restaurants not the source of Covid-19

KUCHING, Nov 5: Restaurants and eateries are not the source of the Covid-19 spread. This is the view of Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah when he said restaurants and eateries cannot be closed down. “I don’t mind the pubs and entertainment centres be closed down, but not the eatery places. “I don’t think restaurants and eatery places are the source of this Covid-19 (spread),” he said when addressing the launching ceremony of PANDei ePelancongan Course at Imperial Hotel today. Abdul Karim said during the State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) meeting yesterday, he fought for restaurant and eateries to remain open for their owners could not afford another close down. “It was suggested in yesterday’s meeting to close down all eateries and entertainment centres for the next two weeks due to the recent spike in Covid-19 cases. “As a member of the committee, I was however against the suggestion,” he said. – DayakDaily [Source: "Abdul Karim: Restaurants not the source of Covid-19" published...
Read More
Kempen Sia Sitok Sarawak dilanjutkan hingga 31 Mac 2021

Kempen Sia Sitok Sarawak dilanjutkan hingga 31 Mac 2021

KUCHING:Menteri Pelancongan, Kesenian dan Kebudayaan Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah berkata Kempen Sia Sitok Sarawak akan dilanjutkan sehingga 31 Mac 2021. Beliau berkata kempen yang melibatkan 30 pakej pelancongan itu telah dilancarkan pada 15 Julai lalu dan dijadual berakhir Disember tahun ini. "Kempen Sia Sitok Sarawak pada mulanya dijadual berakhir 31 Disember 2020 tetapi Lembaga Pelancongan Sarawak (STB) selaku agensi utama melaksanakan kempen ini telah memutuskan untuk melanjutkan tempoh pelaksanaannya hingga 31 Mac 2021. " Manakala tempahan untuk pakej-pakej yang ditawarkan boleh dibuat sehingga 31 Disember tahun ini," katanya pada sidang media selepas menyempurnakan Majlis Pelancaran Kursus ePelancongan di sebuah hotel di sini, hari ini. Abdul Karim berkata ia lanjutan tempoh Kempen Sia Sitok Sarawak dibuat berikutan peningkatan semula kes COVID-19 di negeri ini dan bagi memberi peluang kepada rakyat Sarawak khasnya menikmati pakej pelancongan dalam negeri. Keputusan itu dibuat juga katanya dengan mengambil kira cuti persekolahan dan Tahun Baharu Cina pada Januari dan Februari 2021. "Selain mempromosi produk pelancongan domestik, ia juga salah satu cara...
Read More
State govt subsidised ‘Sia Sitok Sarawak’ tour packages extended to March 31, 2021

State govt subsidised ‘Sia Sitok Sarawak’ tour packages extended to March 31, 2021

KUCHING (Nov 5): The ‘Sia Sitok Sarawak’ domestic tourism programme has been extended until March 31, 2021, to help tourism industry players who have been hard hit by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah told a press conference today that his ministry and the Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) had decided to extend the programme, which was to end in December, after discussions with stakeholders. “Everyone is affected, so if we can’t bring visitors from outside, the only way to get all these places to be visited, is to get the locals,” he told a press conference after launching an e-tourism course. ‘Sia Sitok Sarawak’ was launched in July this year as an initiative to bolster the tourism industry after the Covid-19 pandemic hit the state in March with the collaboration of the private sector. Abdul Karim said the programme had so far attracted 3,167 locals, generating a revenue of about RM700,000. “How it works is that all...
Read More
Motac, Statos forge tourism partnership

Motac, Statos forge tourism partnership

KUCHING: The Ministry of Tourism Arts and Culture (Motac) and the Sarawak Trade & Tourism Office Sarawak (Statos) are engineering the mechanisms of an early strategic partnership to get a jump start on reviving future Singaporean tourist arrivals to Sarawak, with full reactivation to begin once the Covid-19 pandemic is over. Motac and Statos will explore ways to tap the lucrative Singaporean market, with further tinkering and branding efforts on niche tourism areas in Sarawak that may spark special interest for Singaporeans. “Alignment of our complementary resources and intelligence means that the Ministry and Statos can look forward to a healthy strategic collaboration that will shape and accelerate future tourism outcomes from Singapore,” said Minister of Motac, Datuk Sri Nancy Shukri today. “Via development of lucrative ‘niche tourism’ areas – such as trade linked tourism and food tourism – Sarawak stands to buoy its tourism economy and develop new sources of employment by the end of the pandemic. Such areas are certainly promising...
Read More
D-Virtual Park beri pendedahan mengenai teknologi digital kepada rakyat tempatan

D-Virtual Park beri pendedahan mengenai teknologi digital kepada rakyat tempatan

KUALA LUMPUR, 12 Okt -- D-Virtual Park, taman tema realiti maya (VR) pertama di Borneo oleh Serba Dinamik Holdings Bhd (SDHB) yang dilancarkan secara rasmi di Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, hari ini merupakan inisiatif terbaik oleh syarikat itu untuk memberi kesedaran dan pendedahan dalam kalangan penduduk luar bandar mengenai teknologi terbahru dan penggunaan peranti serta aplikasi digital. Ketua Menteri Sarawak Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg berkata taman tema VR itu seirin dengan agenda kerajaan Sarawak untuk memacu ekonomi digital kerana ia adalah salah satu cara untuk merevolusikan ekonomi digital dalam kalangan 2.8 juta penduduk tempatan. "Untuk  menjadi agresif di pasaran, kita harus dihubungkan dengan pasaran. "Oleh itu, kita mesti menggunakan penghubung ke pasaran, iaitu dengan mempromosikan penggunaan lejer digital terbuka, pautan yang dihubungkan ke seluruh dunia," katanya ketika berucap pada majlis pelancaran hari ini. Beliau juga berkata kerajaan negeri Sarawak ketika ini sedang dalam usaha untuk meningkatkan infrastruktur jaringannya, ia telah melabur sebanyak RM1 bilion daripada dana negeri bagi kerja-kerja menaiktaraf, termasuk memasang menara telekomunikasi, selain menerima bantuan yang sesuai daripada Suruhanjaya Komunikasi dan Multimedia Malaysia (MCMC). Abang Johari juga berkata memandangkan kegiatan pertanian negeri merangkumi sebahagian besar penduduk, kerajaan negeri sedang...
Read More